It’s hard to believe that we have just returned for our last half term of this academic year, time has definitely flown by. We are not, however, slowing down as we have a very busy few weeks ahead of us. Here are some special dates for your diary, starting with next week:
- On Monday afternoon the Learning Centre Parent Group meets again and Kevin Howarth, the social care lead for the Adult Learning Difficulty and Autism team will be there to speak to parents and carers and answer any questions they may have around adult services. The meeting is also a chance for our parents to catch up with each other and our Food Industry students will be on hand to supply refreshments.
- This Wednesday our Learning Centre girls are joining girls from New Bridge to take part in the ‘One City’ event at Manchester City Football Academy. We wish them good luck and I look forward to sharing photos and news in next week’s blog.
- On Wednesday 19th June we are holding our Learning Centre Transition Evening for Year 11 parents and carers. Please be aware there has been a change of start time to 4.30pm which we hope will help any parents who would struggling to make an earlier time. We will be sending home the Learning Centre Options booklet beforehand explaining the option choices available and we are looking forward to discussing these with families.
- The Year 11 and Year 14 Prom is being held on Friday 12th July at New Bridge School and invitations will be going home shortly. I can’t wait to our students all dressed up and looking amazing for the event of the year!
- Our Year 14 Record of Achievement Presentation will take place on Tuesday 16th July at 10am in the theatre at New Bridge School.
- Our Year 14 Leavers Trip will be on Wednesday 17th July
Back to events this week at the Learning Centre. On Tuesday, our IB and EBase 1 students had the opportunity to join pupils at the school site for a very special performance by Gillian and Elinor, otherwise known as the Polaris Duo thanks to Live Music Now. Mrs Thornhill tells us more..
Junaid, Usayd, Louis, Sarah and Zachariah really enjoyed themselves and were exceptionally well behaved. Usayd got really into the music and danced the morning away, Sarah nearly lost her hand down the bell of the saxophone when the lady played alongside her and Zachariah was the first to shout out, “it’s a saxophone!” when the audience were asked if they knew what the instrument was.
EBase 1 would like to say ‘Thank you!’ for the invite and a big ‘Thank you!’ to Alan (our driver) for the transport at a moment’s notice..
This week our IB students had a great time on outdoor education where they visited Alexandra Park. Their residential expeditions are just one part of their Silver DofE Award, there are three other sections that have to be completed and the students work on these at the Learning Centre. All their outdoor education sessions are contributing towards the physical fitness section of their awards and I’m sure you’ll agree they all look to be enjoying themselves..
The focus of our Learning Centre assembly this week was the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day landings on 6th June 1944. We learned about some of the astounding facts and the students found it hard to believe that most of the young men we were honouring were a similar age to them.
Mrs Keane’s Year 12 group had watched Newsround which featured interviews with some Normandy veterans and footage from 75 years ago. The group talked about how frightening it must have been and how sad it was that so many people died. They learnt some basic facts about D-Day and that we were friends with Canada and America and the fighting took place on the beaches of Normandy in France.
If your child is in Year 12 or Year 13, please remember to book their place on our Summer Holiday Club through your ParentPay account before Friday 14th June if you would like them to attend. If you have any questions or need some help requesting a place through your ParentPay account, please contact us.
Finally, best of luck to our Gold DofE group who will be undertaking their 4 day qualifying expedition next week – we know you can do it!!
Have a great weekend,
You can find Gavin’s blog for the school site here
For news on our Key Stage 5 pathway groups at Medtia Square please click here
Click here to read this week’s news from Graham
You can find my previous blog posts here